Monday, November 16, 2015

Thinglink is FUN!!!

I am a first time Thinglink user and I think it’s great! As an art teacher, I can see using Thinglink to introduce and enhance many of my lessons. I especially like the tool because it is visual and you can create links that are easy to use with photographs and videos. I also like that I can type in my own text.

For my first Thinglink, I chose a subject that is near and dear to me, Pre-Columbian civilizations! As a graduate student of Art History at Cal State Northridge many, many years ago, my area of concentration was Pre-Columbian Art.  Believing that the best way to learn was to get first hand experience, I travelled to the ancient site of Teotihuacan.  The time and date of travel was very calculated! I was at the top of the Pyramid of the Sun at noon on the day of the Summer Solstice. At exactly that moment, the sun was streaming through a tiny hole at the top of the pyramid to a cavernous chamber many feet below the pyramid. 

My sample is showing the Pyramid of the Sun. My points of interest show a Youtube about the Mystery of the Pyramid, a map of ancient Mexico, an example of a mural found at Teotihuacan and a photograph of the Pyramid of the Moon. 

Thinglink was easy to learn.  Although I am still learning how to navigate the site, I find it is not overwhelming. 

I believe Thinglink could be a good tool to use in the classroom for a number of lessons that I do with my students. I could already think of lessons that it would useful for.  We are in the middle of a unit on Native American Art with my 3rd grades.  I could see how Thingling could be a great tool to show where the different Native Americans lived, the types of homes they lived in and how the landscape differed geographically.


I would absolutely use Thinglink in my classoom with my students!


1 comment:

  1. So happy to hear you enjoyed your adventures in Thinglink! It is a great program that can be used to demonstrate learning or act as a supplemental resource for students.

    ReplyDelete