Sunday, December 13, 2015

Looking Back, Looking Ahead

As an art teacher in an elementary setting, I feel that my use of technology has a place in my curriculum. However, I feel that place is limited. Am I more prepared to teach students using technology, of course I am. I learned about many different areas of technology in my Edu776 class and how to integrate this technology into my classroom. Do I see a place in my curriculum for all that I learned? I see a place for some of it. One of the purposes of my class is to teach students to be creative using their hands and their imagination. I can use technology to enhance my lessons, and I do that consistently. I don’t feel that technology can replace what we do in the classroom or that it should become something that overtakes my classroom. There is value in using some of what I learned, but each minute ‘on screen’ takes away from the student creating something with their hands. We have to keep in mind that students creating things with their hands is something that can never be replaced. The other day, my students were rinsing their brushes in a cup of water after using metallic tempera paints. They were fascinated!!! The water looked different than it does when using regular temperas…it had what looked like specks of gold swirling in it! Our class had a discussion on why it’s different, how it’s different and what can we compare it to! This was their ‘primary source’ just like going to a library or a museum to see a true ‘primary source’ when doing research. Art was science, science was art and the kids were loving it! It was spontaneous, it was a learning experience and it was fun! My students were engaged, they were thinking and they were learning. It’s not the same when you’re looking at it online on a screen. I was not uncomfortable using technology before this class. I took this class to learn more about how it can be helpful in my classroom. What I find uncomfortable is the expectation that tech should be a given and not a choice in some instances. I believe it’s different in a regular classroom and I still feel that much of what we learned is more appropriate for older grades. I understand that the use of technology in the classroom prepares the students for the future that lies ahead for them, but I think that as 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 years olds there is a time and place for using these tools and that there needs to be a balance….their world should still be about playing, and creating and learning through all five of their senses.
Art Work made by my 1st, 2nd 3rd and 4th grade students.

No comments:

Post a Comment